“Oh, I thought YOU wanted to go…”

Saturday was a day of ambitious planning and poor execution. The day started out with a monumental fucking hangover from various intoxicants consumed Friday evening (must replenish milk thistle stock at home!). SU, who is staying with me for a few days (and will kill me for posting this, but what the hell), came into my room mid-morning, as she does every day, to discuss the day’s upcoming activities. In short, this was our conversation (I may have made only groaning sounds):

SU: “good morning”
Me: “hey. What’s up?”
SU: “I’m heading to eat brunch with a friend. Would you like to join us?”
Me: “who is it?”
SU: “so-and-so” (not someone I know)
Me: “no”
SU: “ok. Btw, I have taken stock of the vegetables in the kitchen today & will help you cook them this afternoon, if you want”
Me: “that’ll be nice”
SU: “ok. Let’s commence at 2:30 p.m. Then at 5, I’m meeting a friend for coffee. Bye”

Come 2:30, I’m not at home, as this seemed like a suggestion, not a plan. I am suitably admonished for it. Sweet… it’s as if I am in a relationship & don’t know it :-) I remain unfazed, as my relationship gauge normally works off the exclusivity & frequency of activities other than cooking together.

Around 6 p.m. DA and I decide to head to “opera in the ball park”… free simulcast of Il Trovatore for cultural misfits who’d rather be guzzling beer and thinking that this muzak break is ending & the baseball game starting any minute now. The real deal is on at the opera house with the blue hairs & the modern equivalents of pince-nez spectacles. Grand logistical plans are crafted.
“Let’s bus it till mission & embarcadero & then walk 1.3 miles to AT&T park”
“yeah, let’s do it. There’s a bus in 22 minutes. I’ll be on it, and at your stop 1.5 minutes later”
So we “meet” each other on the bus. A homeless person has been hitting on DA by the time I get on, and he gives her his card. No, really. We discuss buses, creepiness, life. Then the conversation veers towards the weather.
Me: “It’s become cold again today. It’ll be fucking freezing at the ball park, by the water & all. It couldn’t be nice for one more day (whine, whine… usual crap)”
DA: “Yeah, that’s why my friend with the baby bailed, I think”
Me: “Right. So who else are we meeting there?”
DA: “Nobody”
Me: “So it’s just us?”
DA: “yes”
Few seconds’ silence…
DA: “You really want to see this, right? I’m sure it’ll be nice.”
Me: “um.. no. I thought YOU wanted to see it. I only want to spend time with you.”
DA: “Should we do something else?”
Me: “Go back and chill out close to our place?”
DA: “yes”
And that’s what we did. Took the same damn bus back, and made a full circuit with the driver, for the first time in almost 8 years in SF. Lameness personified. The driver’s expression told us he thought so too. At least the evening ended with great conversation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I forgot how much I love to read your stuff. It reminds me of the great time we had in Ireland!

Supriya Uchil said...

you love me and u know it

frozenfoodfairy said...

Rosie, thanks... those chronicles were never completed due to things that had to be omitted :(

Supriya, no comment :)