R.I.P.

PK's cat died today. Actually, we don't know when exactly it died...could have been a couple of days. PK is on vacation in Spain with her husband. Around 10 p.m., I received a hysterical call from PK's cousin who thought something was wrong with the cat (said cousin was stopping by to check on the cats upon request). While I was looking up an emergency/ 24-hr vet's number, she called back and said she thought the cat was dead. She couldn't go back and take a look or touch it to see. Could I please come over right away? Ok. Panic. What does one DO in a situation like that? Well, we found out after a few phone calls that we needed to take the cat into a 24-hr pet clinic, and they would take care of all the "arrangements" for us. So today I had to touch and transport my first dead body. Stiff as a board, and cold. I've seen several dead bodies up close before this, but never been responsible for one. Don't want to repeat the experience, for sure.

Surreal that this was a living being when I had last seen it only a few days ago, giving us all attitude as only cats can. This would be 1 of the only 2 cats I've ever developed an affection for. It died at home, alone for days, and was obviously a bit sick prior because it had thrown up in a corner. Noone was there to take notice or help. What a miserable feeling, and a terrible way to die...I wonder if that's what really freaked me out about the whole thing. AH, DB and I had once laughed about a certain party guest acting like dying cats after falling down the stairs. The truth is obviously far from funny.

No comments: